Friday, December 30, 2016

Sewing till I drop - En Provence Part 6 & more

I'm in the midst of my yearly holiday break from work, which is a combination of holiday and vacation days.  Now that the Christmas festivities are out of the way, I've had a good 3 days of non-stop sewing!  I have accomplished a LOT.  I made the paper piecing project below, put the binding on two quilts and a table runner, and finished the top of the Arcadia Avenue BOM.  I also finished another row of quilting on my Circle Squares quilt.

I'm teaching a paper piecing class in February and am looking for a good pattern, so I got this one and made it to see if it would be appropriate for my students.  I used only batik scraps (well, I cut into one piece of yardage for the sun) and I love how the colors came out together.  I'm not sure its the best project for my beginner students, so I'm going to think on it for a little while.  This is now basted and ready to go.  I used some fabric I already had for the backing, which makes me feel pretty good!  Using up the stash!

Fabrics for En Provence, Step 6






By Friday morning I was pretty tired from the past 3 days and decided I might not even sew today as I needed some rest.  BUT...then I realized it was FRIDAY and the next step of the En Provence mystery would be out.  I decided I wasn't that tired of sewing after all.  This week's step finally involves the green fabrics.  I have a large bag of green and was able to easily pull out a wide variety I felt would look good in the quilt.  Some are a little bright, but I'm hoping it will all come together in the end.

I'm struggling on the lavender though.  I have enough, but am trying to get more variety in there. I pulled in two colors I previously thought were too bright.  I also added in a really nice batik from a quilt I just finished.  I didn't want to cut up many of those scraps because I have plans for the remainder, but hey, nothing is sacred...cut cut cut!  Here are my 64 finished blocks, all trimmed and pretty.  I moved my needle one step to the right so that I could trim these up. I knew they'd be just a tad too small otherwise.  My container is filling up and I'm getting excited to see what these blocks are going to look like!

As I mentioned, I've got a TON going on in my sewing room right now.  My kitties are loving it. Here are some pictures of Freddie (orange tabby) and Raha snuggling up while I'm trying to quilt my Circle Squares quilt.



As I was trying to lay out and finish the top on the Arcadia Avenue BOM, Daisy & Tahnoon had a BLAST with part of the quilt top.  After chasing them off I was able to finish it...FINALLY!!!!!  Now ready to baste and quilt.



Voila! Arcadia Avenue BOM top complete!



No comments:

Post a Comment