Monday, January 27, 2014

Write it down.....

I recently read an article about the sins we commit as quilters.  One of them I am very guilty of is not writing things down or not writing them down in an organized fashion as I go.  I hope this post will motivate me and many others to commit to not sinning in this way any longer.  Our quilting lives will be better for it.  We rush and think we'll remember, but I never do.

What don't I write down?  I keep track of project costs in an electronic log (my computer is not near my sewing room).  I'm terrible about writing down how much background fabric I used, etc.  I think I will remember and I NEVER do, or I write it on a little scrap.  When I find the scrap weeks later, my note-to-self of 25" white never jogs my memory.  Was I doing math, or was I writing down how much I used and which project was this for?  

The second thing I don't write down in an organized way is my quilting math.  Whether I'm resizing a pattern or doing something simple, I should keep a spiral notebook and clearly write the pattern I'm working on and clearly show my math and what I'm doing.  I should be flogged for this with my engineering degree, it was beat into me to show all work.  I guess I get a -D minus in this category now.  When I write down my calculations it usually looks like a mad scientist has stolen my notebook. I can never go back and figure out what I was doing.

Third, when working a project, it's a good idea to use the electronic log or the notebook page mentioned earlier to write down what yardage is being used (manufacturer and collection), if of course, it is printed on the selvage.  I'm usually pretty good about remembering this info, but I did recently have to help someone search the web for a white on white that they didn't have enough of to finish a project.  The person was in a bit of a tizzy over it.  luckily I found it, but it made me paranoid and resolved me to write this post and start a new spiral notebook where each project will have its own page for notes and math that will be clear and organized.  I've realized that taking a few minutes to be organized will only make my projects come out better and make me a less manic quilter!

No comments:

Post a Comment