Friday, January 6, 2017

Sewing up a storm and WEBBING! - En Provence & More!

Made fabric before cutting
I finished my Arcadia Avenue quilt top and have been "making fabric" from the scraps.  The theory is you sew together all the little crumbs and then cut that out into blocks to use in a quilt.  The paper piecing lended itself to this since there were some decent size scraps created.  Before cutting and after about a million hours sewing, trimming, fitting and pressing I ended up with this monstrosity.  I cut as many 4 1/2" blocks as I could and still had a lot of larger pieces I could sew together...back to the sewing machine.  I think I only got 16 blocks out of my first cut.

First 16 blocks
My second round got me more blocks and a smaller pile of crumbs.  I kept going until I couldn't look at the fabric or touch a piece of it any more and ended up with 35 blocks.  I plan to make these into stars by adding flying geese.  I'm not sure I'll do this ever again as it was very tiresome at the end.  I still have enough fabric left to make that one last block required to make a 6 x 6 layout, but I just can't do it.  I did save the stuff, maybe by the time I get around to making a quilt out of this I may have the fortitude to make that a one last block.
My first 25 made-fabric blocks

On to En Provence....to my pleasant surprise Step 7 was released very shortly after Step 6.  Woohoo!  But, Step 7 was like many steps in 1.  I was nowhere near being a being able to start piecing the top. I had to make 80 more QSTs and 16 sets of yellow solid squares.  My only complaint about this mystery would be that the last piecing steps should have been included with some of the other weekly steps so that when we arrived at the reveal we would be ready to start piecing the top together.
Last 80 QSTs
I pieced one block and sashing just to see how they came out, then chain pieced the remaining ones.  Man, that 25 patch block was intense!  I spent a lot of time arranging my fabrics so I didn't have like fabrics together or diagonal from each other.  I wasn't 100% successful, but I'm happy with the resulting blocks.

40 Sashings Complete

Tahnoon poses for a photo
I laid out all the blocks (which my cats loved) and moved everything around until I liked the layout.  As I was stacking my rows one of my cats got on top of the pile. I proceeded to stack everything on top of her and she didn't mind at all.  I had planned to try webbing this quilt together (why haven't I done this before??) but had, out of habit, stacked them up in rows, not columns :(  I sewed the first two rows together as I normally would which was ok since I like the instant gratification of seeing my quilt top come together.  I re-stacked my quilt pile for webbing and webbed the rest together.  WOW!!!!  Why haven't I been doing this all along?  I was a machine, just sitting and sewing it all together.  I didn't clip or press before sewing the columns together either.  That was AWESOME!  I was nervous about the amount of pressing to be done after, but it really wasn't that bad.  I'm definitely a believer!

Daisy enjoying the finished blocks
After several fruitful hours I finished the center of the quilt!  I pieced together the 32 neutral 8 patches and called it a night.  I'm excited to get the borders on this and call this puppy done!




Lucifer 2 getting her photo op

8 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous!!! I'm just new to following Bonnie's blog, not sure if I could keep up the pace with all of you awesome quilters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm new to Bonnie's blog as well. This is the first quilt of her's I've made. I hope I can do one every year to help keep my scraps under control.

      Delete
  2. Webbing is definitely the way to go. It saves so much time and thread. It also holds everything together and in place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I can finish more quilts with all the time I'll be saving webbing them together! :D

      Delete
  3. Very pretty end result!

    I normally web tops together, but I didn't this time as I do find the pressing afterwards more awkward when it is webbed. And there was plenty of awkward pressing as it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. So different. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete