Sunday, May 7, 2017

Finish #9 for 2017 - Back to 2012....

I dug deep into my UFO pile for this quilt.  I purchased it as a kit w/o a pattern from Keepsake quilting in 2011.  I cut out all the pieces for the Fab Shop Hop "Close to My Heart Sampler" pattern in 2012, and there it sat......


I pulled it out as the April UFO for the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO Challenge.  This quilt went together really quickly since everything was already cut and organized.  I did get confused with the cornerstones and ended up making different ones that the original ones I cut.  I also cut new background fabric as the bright white I had cut was too stark against the off-white of the rest of the fabric.  I ended up using Kona snow.  Little Lucifer 2 loves this quilt a lot.  She comes running whenever I lay it down.  I think its her favorite quilt that I've made.


I have been trying out a new method of basting.  I start at the top and secure the backing with blue painter's tape, then I work my way down the sides and along the bottom.  I then spray baste the batting and then the top.  I've done a couple this way so far and they seem to come out great.


Lucifer 2 approves of my basting job.


I decided to custom-quilt this.  I stitched in the diagonal ditches and along the borders with my regular machine and walking foot.  I then custom quilted the rest of it on the Sweet 16.  I used a combination of Magnifico, So Fine, and Bottom Line threads.  I used feathers, ribbon candy and swirls.  I used a simple egg and dart on the flowered borders.  Lucifer 2 LOVES the finished product! I'm really happy with how this came out and with my new bobbin case, I didn't have any tension issues quilting it.










7 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, i love the blocks but your colours make it!! Do you think this pattern is still availible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, I tried going to the Fab Shop Hop website recently and didn't see the pattern. Maybe if you tried contacting them directly you could get it fro them. They way the pattern worked was if you visited shops websites you were given a part of the pattern a piece at a time...so you had to do a lot to collect the entire thing. It is a great pattern.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! But i am from Belgium, so i can t Get it That way. Is it possible That you send me a copie . I can repay you in fabric, i let you choose from Some fat quarters and those you like i send them to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can make Some pictures and send it to your email. My email is tousseinmartine@hotmail.com
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it possible to email me? thank you

    ReplyDelete