Saturday, December 24, 2016

A Very Dirty Girl - En Provence Mystery Part 5 & More

Jumping right into the subject of my post....In August I returned to the US after a year long work assignment in UAE.  I've been sewing almost non-stop since.  Since I'm trying to make up for a year of not working on my projects, it doesn't really seem like I've done that much sewing.  I figured it had been enough and decided to clean out under my throat plate.  Yikes!!!  that's a lot of lint!!  How was my machine even sewing properly???  I guess 3.5 months is too long to go between cleanings.  Maybe I'll put a reminder on my 2017 calendar to clean it every month.  I can't be the only one that waits too long, am I?  With my machine nice and clean I could continue sewing and get caught up with the En Provence Mystery.  
More purple (yay!) and only 64 HST to make. This one was a piece of cake.  I don't have the Bonnie Hunter ruler, but after looking it up on-line I realized the Easy Angle ruler is almost the same thing (there are benefits to being a gadget hoarder).  I'm running out of variety in my dark purples, especially since these pieces needed to be larger (3.5" strips).  My neutrals are getting a little repetitive as well, though, I did recently add in this awesome cream and metallic gold cat fabric.  This was one of my estate sale finds and I have YARDS of it.  I just love it!  I also found another piece of light tan blender on my shelf which I've just now added in to the neutrals mix. I'm sure it will all come out fine in the end.  I'm caught up and really enjoying this mystery (probably because of the purple!).


While I wait I need some other stuff to work on.  I have a total of 22 days off from work during this holiday season and I'm making every effort to make the most of it!

A large, complicated paper piecing project is a great way to suck up huge amounts of sewing time.  Luckily I have such a project at hand.  I finally completed the last two blocks in the Sassafras Lane, Arcadia Avenue BOM.  Block 11 wasn't so bad, but Block 12 was a bit of a time suck with 16 pieces per section and little tiny ones at that.

Block 11 - Arcadia Avenue BOM
Ready to go, Block 12 - Arcadia Avenue BOM
Block 12, the last seam! - Arcadia Avenue BOM
Block 12 - FINISHED AT LAST!
I love how the blocks look together!  LOVE!  After finishing the blocks I was dying to get a preview of what the finished quilt is going to look like. I immediately started working on the background.  I finished the top and bottom borders and all the setting triangles last night and  had to lay it out.  It was a challenge to keep the kitties off it long enough to get it laid out and snap a photo.  They finally got their chance to get their paws on it...too cute.  The quilt is ready to be sewn together, then I can begin phase two of the time suck that is this quilt when I start to quilt this.  I plan to finish this by April so it can go in my local guild quilt show.  Wish me luck!! To link up to Bonnie Hunter's En Provence Mystery, click here.
Arcadia Avenue BOM - Setting Complete, ready to sew together.
Kitties ALWAYS need to sit on the quilt blocks...ALWAYS.
Lucifer 2 loves quilts!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, I LOVE the Arcadia Avenue quilt. That is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely are those blocks. Your work is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope we can use more of the light mauves - my purples are nearly gone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm seriously running out of variety for the dark purples!

      Delete