Sunday, January 18, 2015

Arcadia Avenue BOM - Cutting, Phase 2

The cutting continues...From my little pile of white scraps I was able to cut all these pieces.  Not too shabby. After all the cutting was complete my white scrap pile was greatly reduced and I didn't have to use that much yardage.


This is a picture of all my medium and light fabric for all of the blocks and the mathy-math used to cut the white fabric.  Next it was time to cut the colors!!!! Sew much fun to dig into my beautiful rainbow of fabrics!  Since I had recently installed a new blade in my rotary cutter I had been cutting 6 pieces at a time of the white fabric and decided to do the same with the rainbow.  I cut strips in the widths I needed (which was the most time consuming part) and made two stacks of six colors.  By doing this I could even cut all twelve colors at once by laying the strips next to each other! What a bonus time saver that was!  Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of that.  In the end I had a good 4" piece left from each of the colors.  I see another great rainbow quilt in the future!  I'm leaving the numbered pins in these in case I get any of the similar colors messed up while making the blocks.


The leftovers of my rainbow fabrics
 Next it was time to cut out the dark fabric.  It was getting later in the evening, but I was on a roll.  It was getting so late that my kitty Freddie just wanted to snuggle up on top of all my nicely cut and labeled pieces.  I had to keep checking underneath him to see what I had cut and make sure to keep my blade far away from him as he relaxed.  My cats each have their own baskets on one of the tables in my sewing room, but he was being so cute, I didn't move him over to his basket this time.
Freddie loves to lay on little pieces of fabric.
To cut the dark strips, I decided to use the same method of stacking six strips at a time.  I mentioned this before, but the fact that this whole quilt goes into multiples of 3, 6, 12, etc is AWESOME.  I made a cheat sheet of what I needed and cut six strips in the widths I needed.  It actually came out really great and I had very little scrap left.  I ended up using about 1.6 yards of the recommended 2 3/4, so I have quite a bit left (I see the potential for a pieced backing in my future).  I made a late push and  powered through cutting it till around 11:00 pm (on a Tuesday night, ugh), which made for a tired day at work the next day.  It was worth it though to end up with these 12 beautifully organized bags for each block.  I'm bagged and tagged and ready to start block 1!  Let the adventure continue!
12 Arcadia Avenue Block Cut, Bagged and Tagged!


No comments:

Post a Comment